I know I know - the avocado toast phase is so overdone. Also, why would I pay $12 for a piece of half-burnt bread with a smashed avocado and some seasoning (okay, and some fancy greens)?
1) it's delicious and they make it look so dang good
2) just take my money, everyone else is doing it
Hence my inspiration to share with you my version of the infamous and not-so-basic-avocado toast!
It's simple and fresh with toppings that can be modified to whatever veggies you happen to have in the kitchen at the time (though I obviously recommend making it the way it's laid out below, because look at how good this looks?!).
what if mushrooms aren't my thing?
There are cremini mushrooms in this recipe - and I know how some people feel about this. My thoughts? You're probably not making them right (or whoever introduced you to mushrooms did you wrong). In some cooking methods that mushrooms are served, they end up soggy and without much flavor at all (who would like that? No offense). For the best results, assure the frying pan is well heated (over medium-heat) with olive oil and half a table spoon of salted butter before adding the sliced mushrooms topped with the suggested seasoning below and listen to the crackle and sizzle!
The best way to get that crispy (but not burnt), seasoned mushroom gourmet goodness you deserve!
Because I go to Trader Joe's for a majority of my groceries and produce, I'll be referencing their original spices. However - I know their store's are not available everywhere, so I'll include what the spice is conjured up with at the end of the post for those who want to look for a similar seasoning blend. If you do have a TJ's near you - you have no choice, you must get the seasoning and dressing ;) Not just for this recipe, but also for many other quick meals you make that need a little more flavor!
the recipe deets
prep time 10 minutes
cook time 10 minutes
total time 20 minutes
- 4 slices of whole grain or gluten free bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon Trader Joe's *21 Seasoning Salute spice blend
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon salted butter
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half vertically (can replace with yellow squash or baked sweet potato cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Himalayan sea salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 large eggs
- Trader Joe's Green Goddess dressing (optional for topping or dipping - gives it a yummy twist!)
1) Place a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, bring to a simmer. Add tomatoes, season with a few dashes of the 21 Seasonings Salute spice blend, mix until combined and let cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2) Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the butter to the same pan, melt to a low simmer. Add the cremini mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon of the 21 Seasonings Salute spice blend. Mix until well-combined, cook for 3-5 minutes until crispy, stirring occasionally. Remove and transfer to plate with tomatoes.
3) Make the avocado mash! Add the avocado, pepper flakes, lemon juice, himalayan sea salt and ground black pepper to a small mixing bowl. Mash and stir until ingredients are well combined - leave some chunks in the avocado.
4) Fry the eggs: grease a small frying pan over medium heat, fry two eggs at a time, sunny-side-up. Season to your liking with some freshly ground black pepper. Cover the pan with lid and cook until a white film forms over the yolk and the egg white is firm.
5) Toast the bread
6) Layer it up! Atop the 4 pieces of toast, add a small layer of salted butter, divide and layer the avocado mash, top with mushrooms and veggies. Serve eggs on the side or on top of the toast. For an extra flavor, top the toast with a small amount of green goddess dressing.
*seasoning blend is made up of: onion, black pepper, celery seed, cayenne pepper, parsley, basil, marjoram, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, rosemary, cumin, mustard corianders, garlic, carrot, orange peel, tomato granules, lemon juice powder, oil of lemon